Saturday, January 29, 2011

Birthday Overload

Today was R's 6th birthday party, the Friends edition.  I invited only a few kids, only those R asked me to invite, so the "sports" theme was a bit hindered from the start.  Made a cake, got sandwiches and chips, hired a kid to entertain the rug rats.....I guess it went okay.  Then this evening, thanks to the BF, we went to the Monster Truck Jam at the baseball stadium.  It appears my son is more white trash than I ever knew.  He LOVED monster trucks.  Especially when someone flipped over and maybe DIED.  Oh, that was the best. 

When R turned 5, we opened presents outside of the party...that was the web-recommendation.  This year the kids insisted on R opening his presents.  I was shocked that the kids who brought presents were totally dissing the kids who gave R gift cards.  "OK, you got him a card, but where's the present?  I went to Toys R Us and got him something, why couldn't you?"  It was ugly.  Last year there wasn't this derisiveness.  Is it due to school?  Should I not have moved him from school district A to school district B?  I can tell you that R was so over the moon about the cash.....I think I've created the next Donald Trump.  He is so money driven, it's almost an illness.

Tomorrow is the "family party".  My dad's birthday is a few days after my son's so the family party will actually fall on my dad's birthday--kind of cool. My dad loves R like no one else.  It's been great to see the bond develop between the two of them.  My dad will pick R up from school just to hang out with him.  It's awesome.  My dad is getting up there in years and these times with my son will stay forever in his memory, or so I hope.

Happy 6th Birthday weekend, little man.  As you sleep, I hope you are dreaming of the Bat Man Monster truck :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's so sweet that R has that bond with your dad. It's something he will treasure forever. And, it sounds like he needs someone like your dad to be a positive influence in his life, rather than ASS HAT.

    ReplyDelete