Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Random statements made by my child last night

Bug was at his dad's for the weekend, and I picked him up after work last night.  I usually pepper him with questions about how his weekend went, did he do anything fun, etc.; just trying to get him to start talking.  So yesterday being MLK day, and me being all about the teachable moments (cough, yeah, right), I asked him if he knew why he didn't have to go to school that day.  He replied, "Cuz it's Martin Loofer King Day."  I then asked if he knew who that was, and he did not, but did know, "Well, he was a king!" 

Ummm, no, his last name was King.

"So his mom must have been really rich if her son was a King, so I should call her up an' ask her for a million dollars.  Can I have an iPod for my birthday?"

No, sweetheart, you're turning 7 you don't need an iPod.

"Well, its my birthday and I am the King on my birthday and so I am going to tell everyone to get together and give me an iPod.  No, wait, I want an iPad.  No, I know, they will get me a phone!"

You are not getting an iPad, I don't even have an iPad.  And you will get a phone when you need one, like when you are 16 and are driving.

Such horror and disbelief is emanating from the back seat.  Mother, you are SO unreasonable.

So, my life lesson from my son last night:  my son is a demanding little punk.  Not sure that was the message Dr. King was hoping to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment