Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Growing up, Valentine's day was the day you told the boys in your family how much you loved them.  Being the only girl, that meant a gift for my dad and two brothers to be placed on their dinner plates that evening.  Such pressure for a young girl.  Today, I get a gift for my parents and my son, and of course something for the BF, S.  My dad gets me a gift every year, and my mom gets my son something as well.  The point of the tradition is to show those we love that we are thinking of them on this Hallmark holiday.  In my heart, I'd rather ignore this day, thinking it to be such a commercial mess that shouldn't be acknowledged.  But my son has to do valentines for every kid in his class, so I can't ignore it.  And at my core I am a romantic who wants to give my significant other more proof that I love him.  So I continue the tradition started in my youth.  I do have to admit, my son felt entitled, "where are my presents?; and my BF was "you got me a Valentine's gift????"  both felt right to me.  My dad gave me a lovely bouquet of flowers, so I did receive something.  but in all honesty, today felt more like a giving day than a receiving day.  Is that a sign that I am maturing or a sign that I have given up on the hope of anyone giving me something just out of love (other than my dad)?  A question for the ages, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment