Friday, February 11, 2011

A weekend alone

As I sit here attempting to recover from the Kindergarten Valentine's Day party (whoever decided that sugaring kids up and letting them loose on unsuspecting mom-volunteers to do various crafts was a good idea must die), I'm looking back at my day with wonder.

When I was pregnant, I found a group of moms on Baby Center (BBC.com) who had Jan. '05 due dates as well.  there were probably 30 or so moms who visited regularly, and we continued to "chat" as our babies grew into toddlers, sharing and enjoying each others milestone moments with our wee ones.  We also felt comfortable enough with each other to share the struggles and minefields that come with parenthood.  We migrated to Facebook, this group of moms and I, and have continued to share our lives with each other there.  I got to meet two of these wonderful "InvisiFriends" today for lunch.  It was awesome.  It felt honestly like we had been friends forever, even though we had never heard each others voices before.  It was so easy to just talk about the joys and not so joyful travels through parenthood; our crazy pets, etc.  These women were there through my divorce, and all the trials and tribulations that went with that.  I can honestly say that the women I met today, and all of the other women with whom I have developed virtual friendships are just as important to me and loved by me as those friends who can sit on my sofa on a Saturday night.  It is a wonderful feeling.

I am glad I joined the January baby boards back in 2004 on BBC.  It has made my life much richer for the experience.

And now I look at the next two days stretched before me.  No child (he's with his dad), no boyfriend (he's visiting friends), no plans (except for the darn oil change tomorrow)........whatever will I do with all of this alone time?  Let's see:
1.  Do 25 loads of laundry
2.  pooper-scoop so the dogs don't eat their own shit
3.  Homework
4.  Housework of the scrubbing variety (how do boys NOT pee into the toilet????)
5.  Grocery shopping
6.  Organize my sock drawer (I spent 10 minutes this morning looking for a pair of socks!!)

OK, so I think I just figured out that my alone time is going to be spent channeling my inner Cinderella.  At least I won't be interrupted every 5 minutes with, "Mom, will you play with me?"

Always good to find the bright side of things :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment